Once you have a balance on the lower chakra it is really easy to have a clear and beautiful throat chakra. This is because you are grounded, present, you are empowered in your solar plexus, your heart is open and able to give and receive love. Since you know your self-worth, you are centered of self-love and love for others, you can easily express your authentic self and when it is clear you are also able to communicate in creative ways, this is very helpful if you are a writer or an actor performer, or do a lot of presentations.
The throat center is our communication center. It deals with speaking the truth and it is also connected to our ear level. This means that we have to remember that when we are speaking or we have something to say, we are also going to be listening. This center deals with either listening to people or wanting to be able to receive and share information.
What is the meaning of the throat chakra?
The fifth energy center is called the throat, or purification, or vishuddha chakra meaning purity, or pure. Its symbol consists of a circle with a sixteen petals lotus and a crescent with a circle inside of it. The crescent shape surrounded by a white (sometimes blue) circle represents the moon, purity and cosmic sound. The throat chakra is associated with the thyroid and the parathyroid glands of the endocrine systems. It is the first of the higher or spiritual chakras. It is a very powerful chakra. But wait! Before this chakra operates at its fullest potential please note that one has to heal and open the Anahata or heart chakra, in order to express themselves at a hundred percent. The vocal toning for this chakra is “HAM”
Here is some more information about the vishuddha:
- Metal – Copper or Tin
- Crystals/Gemstones – Amazonite, Blue Calcite, Blue Topaz, Celestite, Lapis
- Essential oils/spices – Cypress, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Rosemary, Peppermint
– Sage, Salt, Lemongrass; any herb or spice that benefits or soothes the throat or voice
- Foods/Drinks – Any blue colored foods; Ethnic and Exotic foods; Tree growing or citrus fruits; soups and sauces; any liquids or fruit juices
- Planetary Body – Mercury
- Sense – Hearing
Some behavioural characteristics of the throat chakra are:
- Expression, especially in the ability to express your truth and to speak out
- Verbal or non-verbal communication
- Connection with the more subtle realms of spirit and intuitive abilities
- Realising your vocation, purpose
- Good sense of timing
- An expression of yourself
- It is responsible for your emotional honesty
- It can impact the quality of your relationships
How the throat chakra gets blocked and what are the symptoms?
The throat chakra gets blocked, or imbalanced, or weak, when we allow others to weaken our ability to speak out against the experiences we endure and the messages from the spirit. This energy center is also closed when we encounter repression or attempts to stifle our innate ability for self-expression. If there is a blockage or imbalance in the throat or visudhha chakra, you may experience the following:
- Living in chronic fear
- Being doubtful
- Negative thinking
- Lack of authority
- Cannot express yourself properly
- Not being able to communicate
- Worrying about what people are thinking
- Create lies
- Keep shameful family secrets
- Holding back on expressing your needs and desires
- Unable to speak the truth
Moreover having an imbalanced throat chakra may affect the following systems or organs:
- Throat, for example, having a sore throat
- Pain in the neck
- Pain in the shoulders
- Ear infections
- Thyroid dysfunctions
- Voice problems
- Dental issues
How to heal and balance the throat chakra?
The key to healing the visudhha chakra is to find the place of our own truth and relearning the ability to express ourselves. Crying and voicing out our fears or even sharing our stories and engaging in active listening can be of great help to heal this energy center. Some find it useful and helpful to heal the throat chakra by honoring self- expression through creative ways like writing, art, gardening, music whereas some prefer to heal the throat chakra during silent retreat or meditation. Here are some tips on how to activate the throat chakra or heal it:
- By practicing regular meditation, negativity and doubts are removed. Before you meditate chant “OM” three times and three times after you meditate.
- Practice a breathing meditation called chakra breathing. Chakra breathing can help you bring awareness to a chakra by centring your attention on one chakra as you inhale and exhale. Then the prana energy from the breathing is directed and guided to that chakra.
- Seeking and sharing the truth
- Some find it useful to wear the color navy as it is the color of this chakra.
- Certain yoga poses like the fish pose or practicing the mantra yoga, raja yoga or japa yoga may be helpful
- Release your denial and lies you tell yourself and others
- Incorporate the color blue in your daily life either into your decorations at home and work or by wearing the color
- Drink more water
- Eat more fruits
- Try aromatherapy with one or a combination of scents of essential oils
- Talk it out or write it down
- Let it be, that is, letting go of resentment, guilt and anger
- Deep breathing
Tips to meditate on the Chakra
- Sit in a comfortable, cross-legged position.
- Roll your shoulders back and lift your chin slightly so your throat is long and open.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath.
- On your exhale, open your mouth and let the breath move out audibly from the back of your throat with an “ahhhh”. Continue to inhale and then exhale this way for the next few breaths.
- Feel your breath as it releases from your throat. It reminds you that within your breath lies power.
- Use affirmations
- Continue to breathe – inhale peace and calm; exhale power and truth.
- With each breath, the knowledge of your authentic self begins to grow.
- On your next inhalation, become aware that your communication runs deep.
- When you feel ready, open your eyes and return to your day.
Why is it important to open the throat chakra?
It is important for one to open, heal and balance the throat chakra as it is another connection in which spirit speaks through us. As we speak our intuitions, hopes and desires, our words carry with them the energy from within and make the manifestation of our thoughts. People who may have a weak or a blockage in the vishuddha or throat chakra may experience anger, may be frustrated, and might not be able to get their messages out or express them correctly. Since they may not feel understood, this may results in communication blockage. It is important to have a clear throat chakra since anger tends to not exist if people feel understood. A healed and balanced throat chakra helps you to speak clearly and kindly with the person you are talking to and since the message will get across, there will be much of a relationship. It is also your devotion center; prayers, mantra, and chanting, all happen at the throat level. It is said that people whose life energy reaches here is a powerful one. By regular practice of meditation and direct experience, then doubt and negativity are removed.
Benefits of throat chakra balanced:
- Not judging ourselves
- Increased calmness
- Inner peace
- Ability to communicate
- Expressing the truth
- Seek knowledge that is true
- A great sense of honour
- Listen deeply to others
- Take on responsibilities
- Personal integrity
- Good sense of hearing, taste and smell
- More able to make decisions and choices
- Ease of expression and inspired creativity
- More confidence
- Able to communicate in creative ways
- Able to express who one really is
- Realise that we have to follow the willpower
- Inspired creativity
- Accepting your originality, expressing your authentic voice and speaking your truth
Throat chakra affirmation:
- I am a being of love and I radiate this love to myself and everyone.
- I speak my truth clearly and kindly.
- I have the power to express myself fully and authentically.
- I have the power to use my voice to share the truth, wisdom and respect.
- I have the power to listen as well, and can easily decrypt truth from false realities.
- I have the power to hold my tongue during times of conflict and can rely on my breath to keep myself calm, even, steady and focused.
- I am open, clear, and honest in my communication.
- I have a right to speak my truth.
- I communicate my feelings with ease.
- I express myself creatively through speech, writing, or art.
- I have a strong will that lets me resolve my challenges.
- I nourish my spirit through creativity.
- I live an authentic life.
- I have integrity.
- I love to share my experiences and wisdom.
- I know when it is time to listen.
- I express my gratitude towards life.
- I listen to my body and my feelings to know what my truth is.
- I take good care of my physical body.
- I am at peace.
- I choose to always speak the truth.
- In doing so I allow prosperity to enter my life and my finances, my spiritual growth, physical and emotional body are all taken care of by divine energies that embrace my life.
- I speak, I listen, I express.
- I am open, clear and honest with my communication
- I communicate my feelings with ease
“No one means all he says and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous.” – Henry Brooks Adams, The Education of Henry Adams, 1907
You are now starting to learn about, heal and balance the spiritual chakras. After learning about the Vishuddha, we will help you gain insight in the third eye chakra.