In the article we will discover how to open the sacral chakra. By now you have learned what the first chakra is, how to balance Muladhara, benefits of a balanced root chakra and the symptoms of an unbalanced root chakra (if not, please take a look at this article here). Now let’s move up from the root chakra to the second chakra of the human energy center.
This is the procreation center or creative center, this center deals with how we relate to people, is being creative in our hard work, in homemaking, business and many areas of our lives where we apply creativity that really connects with creation.
What is the Sacral Chakra
The second energy center is called the sacral chakra, or sexual chakra or the spleen chakra, or svadhisthana meaning one’s own place or even “sweetness”. It is located at the base of the belly and the sexual organs.
The element of this chakra is water and the sense is taste. It represents the nature of existence. At this level of the second chakra, the kundalini (a form of primal energy said to be located at the base of the spine) both divides and unites, creating the Yin Yang of existence spinning in ultimate balance.
In the body, this chakra emanates sensations, pleasure, desire and emotions.
The symbol for this chakra consists of a circle with six petals lotus of orange color and a moon crescent.
The circle represents the element of water. The moon crescent is silver in color and symbolizes the link between the energy of the moon and water. These symbols show the close relationship between the phases of the moon and the variations in water and emotions.
The moon symbol also relates to the female menstrual cycle that takes the same number of days to complete and the connection of the svadhisthana with sexual organs and reproduction.
Here is some more information about this second chakra:
- Physical body connection – systems like reproduction, skin and assimilation
– Gonads and ovaries
– in terms of what we consume, it is usually liquid
- Emotional body connection – tears (inner state)
– intimacy is the type of emotion for this chakra
- Color – the supporting color is orange and the calming color is indigo
- Herbs – parsley, nettle
Essential oils/spices – vanilla, bitter orange, pepper and sandalwood
- Metal – Tin
- Connection in nature – flowing water, moonlight
- Celestial body is Saturn
- Moon phase is waxing moon
What causes the Sacral / Svadhisthana to be blocked or imbalanced?
If we do not learn to connect to others through emotional intimacy we remain alone, alienated or dissociated.
This chakra has the ability to relate to other people and to the world that surrounds you. Svadhisthana chakra helps to keep your emotions and ability to cope with life on a balanced level.
The sacral chakra is very much influenced by one’s own childhood experiences, which means that if a person has had a good childhood then he/she is able to have a better second chakra.
37 Symptoms of a blocked Sacral Chakra
However, people who have experienced sexual abuse or any other trauma as a child need to heal their second chakra as soon as possible. When the sacral energy is blocked, the following symptoms may be noted:
- Become unemotional
- Lack of creativity
- Experience uncertainty
- Not able to be friendly
- Inability to cope with life’s changes
- Feeling detached
- Unable to cope with the vicissitudes of life
- A lack of self-esteem
- Lack of self-worth
- Being unhealthy
- Becoming lethargic and slow
- Lower back pain
- Joint problems
- Low energy
- Co dependency
- Hard to trust
- Doubt in our ability to attract love
- Unable to find passion
- Does not enjoy life
- A lack of life passion
- Sexual dysfunction
- Over obsessed with sex
- Physically violent
- Loss of appetite
- Blood cancer
Organs or systems that can be affected from an Imbalance Sacral Chakra
Moreover having a closed or imbalance sacral or svadhisthana chakra may affect organs or systems like:
- Muscle spasm
- Bowel problems like constipation
- Lower abdomen
- Dysfunction of reproductive organs
- Dysfunction of spleen system
- Dysfunction of urinary system
- Problems with large intestine
- Problems with bladder
Healing, balancing and unblocking the second chakra: Sacral chakra or Svadhisthana?
If you are experiencing some problems with your sacral chakra, and you may have notice one or many symptoms of a blockage chakra please do take some time to heal, balance and open this second chakra as it can be very powerful and helpful for your spiritual journey.
If the second chakra is working well then one can associate with people easily. If a woman is not able to conceive then healing the second chakra may help.
Yogis say that if you are able to deal and balance this chakra then you will be able to control your sexual desires more easily. Meditating on the second chakra also increases our creativity; the notion of creation is linked to our pelvic area.
Continuous meditation and focusing on pure thoughts into this center help to master envy, hatred and possessiveness.
How to activate, heal and open the sacral chakra?
To heal the second chakra we have to learn, recognize and respond to our wounded “Inner child”; uncovering and healing painful memories of abuse or neglect; learning to forgive, and releasing blame and guilt.
It is a “wash it away” process and requires time and specially courage to open ourselves to our emotions and feelings. Developing self-compassion and self-nurturing is key to heal the Svadhisthana.
If this chakra is healed and balanced, one’s is a pleasure seeker and enjoys the physical world. The vocal toning system of the second chakra is VAM.
The chakra closes when we have negative energy towards our sexuality, when we do not like our body and when we have a negative attitude towards creativity.
This energy center remains closed if you hold a lot of guilt. Who you were in the past does not define your present or future. Thus, the more you forgive yourself the more this energy center opens up because, as mentioned above, it is a “wash it away” process. Here are some tips on how to balance the sacral chakra:
- To keep sacral chakra from blockage is to keep practicing meditation and yoga postures like the twisting triangle pose, the goddess pose and the bound angle pose (it is a hip opening pose also called the seat of sexuality).
- Eat a lot of oranges
- Chakra stones like carnelian, fire opal, gold topaz coral can be of great benefits to meditate
- Use affirmations
- Guided meditation
- Let go of your ego
- Plan vacations in advance
13 Affirmations to Balance the Sacral chakra:
- “I let go of old negative feelings and open to new ways of thinking.”
- “I am perfectly balanced in all my desires, and I live my life with great joy.”
- “I feel radiant, strong and alive.”
- “I am able to feel all the positive emotions.”
- “I embrace my emotions as they allow me to stand in power.”
- “I am able to feel all the negative emotions like feeling of fear, anxiousness, and doubt and I truly understand what causes them.”
- “I accept my negative emotions as they bring about feelings of joy, dignity and peace as they teach me lessons of growth and truth.”
- “I am at peace and I lovingly release any negative feelings that cause me any discomfort and pain.”
- “I am exactly where I need to be in my life.”
- “I deserve pleasure”
- “I love and accept myself, I am perfect just the way I am.”
- “I easily allow pleasure and sensuality into my life”
- “I am in charge of my own healthy, sexual fulfillment.”
Why it is important to balance,heal and open the sacral chakra?
Since the sacral chakra or svadhisthana chakra is the second lowermost chakra and is next to the root chakra, some of its properties are similar to muladhara.
The second chakra holds the energy of all relationships we encounter in our lives. This chakra is where your inner child lives, feeds your imagination, your passion, your ideas, your energies and your FUN.
By activating and balancing the second chakra, one benefits of the emotional body, sensuality and creativity. The second chakra also possesses the energies of emotions, feelings, feeling the outer and inner world, creativity and fantasies.
Although it is called the sexual chakra, it is not limited to our sexual experiences. When this chakra is fully balanced and healed, it drives us to our accomplishments in life.
This chakra controls the confidence of the people. It helps us to be more productive, enjoy more pleasure, become optimist and enthusiastic.
24 Benefits of Svadhisthana or sacral chakra being opened, healed, and balanced?
- Drive to accomplishments in life
- Naturally having a lot of friends
- Being confident
- Sense of deserving
- Enjoying life
- Emotional expression
- Being more optimistic
- Trusting people
- Good foundation
- Good communication with others
- Being motivated
- Self- knowledge
- Ability to produce and nurture your own children
“To give vent now and then to his feelings, whether of pleasure or discontent, is a great ease to a man’s heart.” – Francesco Guicciardini
It seems like you are becoming more knowledgeable about your chakras and you are on the journey to balance them. The next article will teach you about your Solar Plexus. Click here to read the article.