Balancing your seven chakras could be of amazing benefit to your body’s mental and physical health. The first three basic chakras are for survival and the four last chakras are related to higher cognitive states. Those chakras are aligned with every part of our life. This means that if they are in balance, other parts of our life can reflect that back to us in every aspect. The chakras are said to be healthy when situations in our life seem to be going the right way.
In this article, you are going to learn all about the last chakra which is the crown chakra, also known as the Sahasrara. Just like the root chakra connects us to mother earth, the crown chakra connects us to the universe. The article will tell you about what this chakra is, how to know if it is blocked, what to do when it is blocked, how to heal and balance the chakra and so on.
What is the crown chakra?
The seventh chakra is known as the crown chakra or the sahasrara and it is also the last chakra. Sahasrara can be translated to “thousand petals”. Its symbol consists of a circle and a thousand petals. The color of the crown chakra is white (sometimes a deep purple) and its petals are multicolored. The circle tends to be associated with the full moon. The sahasrara is located at the top of the head or above the head. It sits like a crown, hence its name. It is associated to the brain, ears, eyes, the muscular system, the nervous system, the pituitary gland, the pineal, and even the skin. The chakra is closely related to the brain and the nervous system due to where it is located. The sahasrara is linked to some psychological and behavioral characteristics like consciousness, realization, liberation and connection with the higher states. It gives us access to greater states of consciousness as we open to what is beyond our personal fixations and visions. The function of the crown chakra is determined by consciousness and gets us in touch with the universe. It is associated with God (or your particular belief system), spirituality, divine wisdom, enlightenment, connection to the universe, imagination, awareness, and optimism.
Here is some more information about the crown chakra:
- Crystals/Gemstones – Amethyst, Diamond, Opal, Sapphire
- Essential oils/spices – Jasmine, Lavender, Rose/Rosewood
– Sage, holy basil, all-spice
– any sacred herbs which have spiritual, cleansing and energizing benefits
- Metal – Mercury
- Planetary Body – Uranus; also Neptune, Sun
The purpose of opening the Sahasrara/the crown chakra:
The seventh chakra cannot be blocked, but only more or less developed. When the crown chakra starts to open, you will experience moments in which your mind is completely mute, without any negative voices or thoughts. Your mind will also be able to realize its own essence as an omnipresent, pure being, in which everything is possible.
If the Sahasrara is fully opened, you will find that solid matter is nothing more than a thought form of divine consciousness and that your thoughts can create your reality. However before attempting of opening your crown chakra, you need to open and balance your root chakra (to know more, look at this article here).
Is your crown chakra less developed?
If the crown chakra becomes imbalanced, we feel disconnected spiritually and as such we are living without any direction or purpose. If there are many physical illnesses and diseases that seem to frequently appear without a root trigger or cause, it is likely to be due to an out-of-balance crown chakra, as this chakra affects the six energy systems, and your entire being. A blocked crown chakra can lead to depression and nervous system disorders and feelings of being lost and incomplete.
Having a less developed sahasrara can be due to our own emotions and how we live our daily lives. As humans, we tend to blame other for our problems; however, it is not always what someone else does to us that cause blocks. Our poor choices are most of the time the reasons for an unbalanced chakra. Here are some symptoms of a less developed crown chakra:
- Having a weak memory
- An imbalanced nervous system
- Poor coordination
- Experiencing frequent fatigue
- A low vision
- Having a sore throat
- Feeling of ear tingling
- Having a lack of desire to communicate
- Prefer isolation and loneliness
- Stubborn rejection of the ideas of others
- Spiritual disconnection
- Having a fear of change
- Repressed emotions
- Having a huge ego
- The inability to set or maintain goals
- Being confused
- Loss of faith
- Light sensitivity
Moreover, having an imbalanced or less developed Crown chakra can result in some physical symptoms such as:
- Having neurological disorders
- Nerve pain
- Thyroid and pineal gland disorders
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Schizophrenia and delusional disorders
- Autoimmune disorders
How to Heal and balance the Sahasrara?
Healing and balancing the crown chakra is vital for a deep, spiritual connection within us and the universe. Energy entering and leaving the Sahasrara facilitates the movement of positive energy with the other six chakras, and creates the perception we have on life.
Healing must take place in order for the crown chakra to heal. That is also true for all of the other chakras in our bodies. To open and start the healing process some things can and should be done. For example, you should ground your energies every day. You can also do reiki to help and activate the healing process. The most important thing for any healing to work is to let go, that is, to release and move on from what has been blocking you.
Below are some tips on how to balance and heal the crown chakra:
- Reconnect yourself
- Surround yourself with beauty whether it is music, nature or art
- Walks in nature
- Listen to classical music
- Do kind acts
- Meditate using the vocal toning system Om/Aum
- Perform yoga like Jnana yoga or headstands and child’s pose
- Use chakra healing stones during meditation or wear them as jewelry.
- Eat foods of white or violet color like eggplant and passionfruit; eat spiritually cleansing or energizing foods and drinks that are usually used for detoxing; enjoy herbal teas like peppermint; incorporate ginger in your daily diet
- Fasting for a day or two is also recommended and eating foods like broths, stew, soups and light meals.
- Make use of affirmations
- Keep a dream journal to write down all your dreams and imaginations
- Use essential oils for deeper meditation, spirituality, for angelic connections and so much more.
Benefits of an opened and balanced Crown chakra:
- You can find the truth within and tap into the universal consciousness.
- It is beneficial for every aspect of a human:
the physical side excels in all its functions
the mental side is open to inner knowledge
the emotional side of you benefits for you having a deep understanding of yourself and other
through the spiritual side you can connect with the universe.
- You are able to figure out the truth of who you really are and experience true enlightenment
- You feel connected to the world and the universe
- You understand that there is more to life than what we can physically experience.
- It impacts how much beauty you can see in the world around you
- It impacts your ability to find peace
- You can enjoy better eating (because when you meditate you use less energy and thus you do not eat as much and when you do eat, you tend to choose healthier options) and sleeping habits
Affirmations for the Sahasrara:
Using affirmations can help to heal and balance any chakra. Each chakra has its own affirmations and here are the ones for the crown chakra:
- I am part of the divine
- I honor the divine within me
- I seek to understand and to learn from my life experiences
- I cherish my spirit
- I seek to nourish my spirit
- I listen to the wisdom of the universe
- I trust my intuition
- I am open to letting go of my attachments
- I live in the present moment
- I am love, I am light, I am joy
- I am whole and complete
- I trust life
- I am fully awake and aware
- I am part of all and all is a part of me
- I am pure light and love
- My crown chakra projects inspiration
- I am selfless
- I am complete and one with the divine energy
- I seek the highest truth and the most healing way to live my life
- I know all is truth despite appearance of the contrary
- My spirit is eternal. It loves beauty, harmony, peace and joy
- I appreciate the beauty of earth and I will honor and protect it as much as I can
- Goodness and joy are mine in all situations
- I honor all people, all religions and all spiritual paths
“There is no god higher than truth” – Mahatma Gandhi
You now have all the necessary information to heal, unblock and balance your seven chakras. Since your chakras are now aligned, you will benefit from a faster and greater ability to deal with your issues, you will have the power to live in the present moment, you will be more comfortable in facing uncertainties and changes in life and you will be able to live the life that you want to live.
The Crown Chakra is our connection with spirituality; it is the door through which the life energy enters our body. Without this energy, human beings cannot function properly and end up feeling detached with themselves and others. By healing and strengthening the Sahasrara, we can unite with the Greater Power to obtain its love which can then be shared with those around us.