By now, you have learnt what is the first of the spiritual chakras, that is, the throat chakra (if no please do take a look at this article). As the fifth chakra vibrates within the throat, we move up to the sixth chakra called the third eye chakra or ajna or brow chakra. This is our mind center, our visualization; we imagine here, we dream here, and of course, it is connected with the brain. This chakra can also get blocked and clogged and overly busy. Some call it a monkey mind- when you got this little voice in your head saying things like: “you shouldn’t do this” or “this is that” or telling yourself “I’m not good enough” or “I’m not this and that’s not going to work out”. Certain things can rise here, so what we want to do is to clear and balance this chakra.
What is the meaning of the Third Eye or Ajna Chakra?
The sixth chakra is called the third eye or ajna or brow chakra and is located just between one’s eyes, in the lower part of the forehead. Its symbol consists of a two petal lotus of the color indigo and an upside down triangle. These two elements are associated with wisdom. The Ajna chakra means awareness, perception, to perceive and to command. The gift of this chakra is seeing the inner and the outer worlds. It is associated with the pineal gland of the endocrine system, the eye, the nervous system, the pituitary gland and the brain. The third eye is the center of intellect, inner knowing, discernment, wisdom and clairvoyance (intuitive seeing). It is the place where we develop our “witness consciousness”, the ability to stand back, consciously observe and make choices in our life. The vocal toning for this chakra is “OM”.
Here is some more information about the third eye chakra:
- Element is light
- Crystals/Gemstones – Azurite, Sapphire, Amethyst, Moonstone
- Essential oils/spices – rosemary, sandalwood, lemongrass, pine, thyme, dill, mint and any herb or spice that benefits the eyes, calms the nerves or awakens the senses.
- Metal – Silver
- Planetary body – moon; also Saturn
Here are also some characteristics of the Ajna chakra:
- Perception of elusive dimensions and movements of energy
- Psychic abilities related to clairvoyance and clairaudience
- Access to mystical states
- Motivates inspiration and creativity
Why it important to balance and activate the Third Eye?
It is important for one to open and balance the third eye chakra as it holds the essence of our spirit guides and connections to the universal powers. This chakra stimulates intuition, imagination, universal flow and artistic qualities. Since this chakra is connected to the pineal gland, it connects us directly to our higher self and the universal energies. While in this energy, we can talk to our guides, ask and receive our answers. When energy flows harmoniously through this chakra, one is able to access the doorway to the unseen world, giving it light and meaning. The energy of the Ajna chakra allows us to experience clear thoughts as well as gifts of spiritual meaning and self-reflection. The third-eye chakra is universal in nature. When this chakra is fully and rightfully functioning, both hemispheres of the brain function in synchronisation. The right hemisphere’s creativity and man-made thinking is integrated and balanced with the left hemisphere’s logical and systematic thinking.
Symptoms of an imbalanced or blocked Third Eye
When not operating at its fullest potential, this chakra can cause us to block the energies flowing from the Great Spirit and Mother Earth, causing us to lose focus and feel like we are all alone in this reality.
Some of the symptoms are:
- Having a fear based belief system
- Having an authoritarian belief systems
- Negative beliefs
- Blindness to the truth
- Learning disabilities
- Mental rigidity
- Cut off from emotions
- Become overly attached to dogmatic theories and beliefs
- Poor vision
- High blood pressure
- Weak immune system
- Feeling stuck in the daily life without being able to look beyond your problems
- An overactive third eye manifests itself either by being consumed with negativity or being lost in fantasies
- Not being able to establish a vision for oneself
- Rejecting everything spiritual or beyond the usual
- Lack of clarity
Moreover an imbalanced or blocked third eye chakra or anja can manifest problems in organs or systems such as:
- Nervous system
- Eyes problem
- Ears problems
- Nose and sinuses
How to heal and activate the Third Eye or Ajna chakra?
It is important for one to have a clean, balanced and healed sixth chakra as the latter can actually see things in a different perspective. Healing the third eye means, first of all, a willingness to see. It includes opening to the truth beyond what we can physically see and allowing intuition and inner knowing to become our primary teacher. The healing process includes accessing our fear-based belief systems, judgments and criticisms and being willing to let them go.
When the third eye is opening you might experience a dull sensation of pressure between the eyebrows, an increased foresight, and much more.
Below are some tips on how to heal or balance the third eye chakra:
- Meditation is vital in opening the chakra
- Use energy healing such as reiki, sound therapy, acupuncture or acupressure
- Asana yoga like child’s pose, shoulder stands and forward bends
- Using essential oils to massage the forehead at the location of the ajna chakra, ears, and the sides of the head between the ears and eyes
- Using healing stones
- Eating naturally dark blue and purple colored foods like eggplant, plums, blueberries, purple peppers, red cabbage, red onions, seaweed, almonds, broccoli, spinach, kale, any chlorophyll rich foods, dates, figs, raisins and so on.
- Get out into the sunlight; meditate outside
- Hum or chant the sound “OM”
- Try star-gazing and moon-gazing
- Wear indigo or dark blue color
- Use affirmations
- Better sleeping patterns
- Try aromatherapy (tip: defusing lavender at bedtime is helpful and calming)
- Caffeine and organic chocolate (but in moderation)
- Using herbs
- Wear indigo
- Every Sunday night, envision the week that you want to have and write it down
- Look for details, in your surroundings, that you have never noticed before
- Indulge in some daydreaming
- Reduce the amount of sugar and dairy that you consume
- Drink more water
- Let go of limiting beliefs
- Do aesthetic activities such as making visual art, drawing, coloring, working with memory, photography, and hypnosis
Meditation tip for the Ajna: Start by sitting in a comfortable position. Begin to relax and let your shoulders drop as you take several deep breaths. As you relax, visualize a large indigo/blue circle located between your eyebrows. Give yourself permission to sit quietly and explore this light for several minutes. When you are ready, slowly open your eyes.
Benefits of Third Eye Activation
- Greater clarity
- Gain access to the higher wisdom
- Sense of time
- Clearing issues
- Clearing blocks
- Exploring new and higher level of consciousness
- Discovering information from the past
- One improves in life
- More capable of dealing with information and insight
- Increased intuition abilities
- Increased astral travel
- Telepathic motions
- Increase in self-confidence and self-trust
- It improves your spiritual qualities
- It helps to understand the universe
- It helps in finding your answers from the surroundings
- It improves your interpreting power
- It reduces anxiety, pain, and fear
- It takes you beyond analysis, reasoning, and rationalization.
- It helps you in taking better decisions
- It acts as a guide in your path of life
- It increases your skills and abilities.
- It helps you communicate with higher and lower dimension
Third Eye Affirmations
- “I see clearly”
- “I trust my intuition”
- “I am imaginative”
- “I envision a world of love, peace and beauty”
- “I seek wisdom and guidance in all situations”
- “I tap into my inner wisdom”
- “My psychic senses are awakening”
- “My mind, body and spirit is healed”
- “I live in the light of my higher mind and allow it to illuminate my life”
- “I align my consciousness with the source of all life”
- “I am a spiritual being having a human experience”
- “The source of truth, love and light lives within me”
- “I know my own voice”
- “I easily hear the voice of my soul”
- “I let my sixth sense guide me”
- “I have unlimited possibilities”
- “I am calm and peaceful”
- “I align my consciousness with the source of all life”
- “I release and forgive the past”
- “Every situation is an opportunity for growth and healing”
“We have five senses in which we glory and which we recognize and celebrate, senses that constitute the sensible word for us. But there are other senses – secret senses, sixth senses if you will- equally vital but unrecognized.” – Oliver Sacks
You are nearly done with understanding and healing all your chakras. We will now give you all information about the last chakra – the crown chakra.